I just had to share this.
My dear sweet friend Gina Smith sent me this last week the day before I left for Colorado Springs to meet with my publisher, do radio and otherwise present myself as a “big deal” author even though I am just little ol me and very much not a big deal.
Out of the blue she sent this to me and I laughed and laughed until I breathed easy and realized I just had to be me and not try to impress anyone! So that’s what I did… ever mindful to remember these important rules:
10 Rules for famous authors when meeting with their publishers:
1. Try not to burp loudly. Hold it back if you can. Save that for when your son and his friend are at your dining room table.
2. Try not to pick your nose. Save that for when your son and his friends are at your dining room table.
3. Don’t yell, “Praise Jesus”, every time they mention your book. That might get old.
4. When you are in important meetings, do not giggle uncontrollably. It may make you look like you’ve never been in an important meeting before.
5. Randomly squealing loudly is not professional.
6. Wear red. Red pants. Red shirt. Red shoes. Red lipstick. Wear red!
7. Do not stop every 5 minutes to take a picture of yourself with your cell phone, to send to all your friends showing them you are in an important meeting.
8. When you see your book for the very first time, do not hug it, kiss it, or yell, “I’m famous!”. Wait until you’re home and in the privacy of your own bathroom!
9. When they ask you questions, just tell them, “My people will contact your people.” It make you sound important.
10. Wear red. Red pants. Red shirt. Red shoes. Red lipstick. Wear red!
(Yes, Gina has a thing for red and is always Keepin It Real!)
Isn’t she just awesome? That is friendship right there! Thanks Gina!